Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Contra Costa Children's Chorus fundraising event

First off, happy St. Patrick's Day!!! Have a Guiness or some corned beef and hash for me.

Omar, my husband, was a part of the Contra Costa Children's Chorus back in the 80s when he was younger. It shaped his life in different ways, but his love for music began with his time at the chorus. The artistic director of the chorus, Iris Lamanna, inspires the children to reach their potential. On top of learning how to read music, Omar traveled abroad, learned new languages and learned the piano from Iris. Now in its 26th year, the Contra Costa Children's Chorus is an amazing organization and their performances are wonderful. I can't wait until our daughter is old enough to join this musical and life-shaping experience. If you are interested in learning more about them, go to their website at: http://childrenschorus.org/.

About one month ago, I was asked to participate by selling my handmade cards at the Contra Costa Children's Chorus crab feed. One of our dear friends is on the Board, who thought of me for this opportunity. Thanks again. It was a well set-up event; there were silent and live auctions, live performances, dinner and other donation opportunities. It was a very family and festive event. The children were a big part of hosting the event, which made it more lively and fun. It reminded us all that this event was for them. I loved it. I met all types of wonderful families, who all love the chorus and its contribution to their children. It felt more like a family event than an organization event.

For the first time, I sold my candy cards at an event. They were very popular and well received. I was so glad to hear the feedback from all the different customers. I even got a custom order. It was a successful show, which was great because to quote a customer "it is three-fold - great for you for selling the cards, great for us because we get the cards and great for the chorus because 50% of the sales go straight to the chorus." I was so glad that my participation could bring that much great karma. Also, due to preparation of the event, I created a lot of new cards, so you will see more new cards this week on etsy (http://cardsbylela.etsy.com), which include a new wedding line. Hope you enjoyed this Wednesday article. See you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment